Thursday, July 5, 2012

My 4th of July

This past 4th of July was honestly one of the best I’ve had in recent memory. For starters I found it fitting that the first holiday following my wife joining me and becoming debt free was Independence Day, so the timing on that alone sent me into an orbital joy.

For the day we played host here in Chicago as my wife’s parents and sister and brother-in-law made it into town. We spent time together talking and catching up, grilled up some great food and stayed out of the sweltering heat until the sun went down. Needing only to walk about a half a mile we caught three firework displays just by parking our beach folding chairs along the lakefront.

It was relaxing and time well spent. It has almost been a week that my wife and I have become debt free together. We budgeted $300 for the day and only spent around $100 for food, charcoal and lighter fluid while utilizing our apartment building’s community grill. Having a beer while grilling with my father-in-law, watching my wife enjoy catching up with her mother and sister, that’s what life is all about. Quality time spent together with family and friends you love and care about. This is why we worked so hard to get out of debt. This is why we prioritize our financial health above hyper-consuming. We worked our tails off (and will continue to) so that gatherings and travels like this can be a bit more re-occuring J

I had a very freeing feeling as I sat under the fireworks and looked over at my wife. Everything that we have gone through, the decisions we’ve made, where we are and where we plan to go, and man did it feel good. I continue to feel this overwhelming sense of peace and security. My whole heart trusts her and the personal financial plans that we have put into practice. I can’t wait to see what the rest of this year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment